 Off-Topic / Debate / *7756 (-20)
  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) (John reveals his soft underbelly of linguistic responses) -Jon :^D (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) If I ain't gonna do easy homework for Dr. Scott (who at least, of late, has been posting some incredibly interesting cites, asking thoughtful questions, and conceding a point here and there (not all of them, mind you :-) ) when he's wrong) I (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) If you consider that creationsim has been around since Moses penned the book of Genesis - and even before that though it wasn't written down, I guess you can call creationism "current". By your standard, then, most every theory known to man is (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Speaking as a Physicist myself... (are you??) Physics cannot prove the Big Bang - any honest Physicist will admit, as do I, that it is only a _theory_, indeed, one which cannot be proven. Evidence suggests that something occurred, but evidence (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Hmm.. That's interesting, and I hadn't considered it that way. My understanding was that Christ's death provided atonement for Originial Sin, but I didn't realize it's applications to sins-in-progress. Is that part of the "new and everlasting (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) No I won't.....er damn! :-) -John (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G4wp09.635@lugnet.com... <snip> (...) The author is stating something he believes is a fact. Last time I checked, that's a claim. So, is the author's claim meaningful? If not, let's (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Libertarian debate in danger of pollution (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) "It must be a guy thing"??? I'm thinking that you're actually more comfortable with the response Dave! provided...?? -Jon (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

Bill Farkas wrote: Speaking of Calvin...;-) -John <snip> (...) <snip> (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) The difference, without generating yet another sub-debate, is that the Big Bang can be retroactively derived from observable and replicable events. The Creation reported in Genesis is by definition (as you've noted) a supernatural event that (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) But there's the rub. No one goes to hell for their sins! How could they if Christ paid for them? The answer follows the famous John 3:16, thru the end of the chapter. Read it for yourself. Bill (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I can't debate unless _you_ state, or refer me to your position. Call me lazy, but I couldn't find what you personally believe stated. I tried a few searches, but I don't have time to ready 7000+ messages in this group alone... and then puzzle (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) (Larry - you and my brother are so similar it's scary.) I, however, would like to know what it is that _you_believe_. Perhaps you've posted it already, and if so, please point me in the right direction. Beyond all the "standard" arguements on (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Who said anything about heaven? That was part of the trap...you assuming too much. The other part of the trap is your incessant ability to nitpick about minor things and miss the entire, OBVIOUS point. This was not about theology, it was about (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) Sad fellow there. I guess that's what we get out of academia these days. He purports to add creationism to his list of "current" topics, and then requires an obviously supernatural event, to stand up to a 'replicability' test. I better get (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) Zoinks! I forget this part in my second reply - I'm still heavily medicated! The analogy was only intended to be about Larry as a child (--Lar) on a roller coaster, which actually means it's not really an analogy, I suppose. I was only (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I want to answer this a little better now that I have more time: As to Calvinism - I don't buy into the whole hyper-Calvinistic TULIP thing, but I do believe in predestination in the way that Selcuk described it earlier (in reference to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: An interesting North American Election (was Re: Cdn Election Day)

(...) <snip> (...) You missed the point - If a member doesn't vote according to the wishes OF HIS CONSTITUENTS, THEY can force a by-election. It's the opposite of party discipline - making the members accountable to those that elected them on an (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Critical Thinking

(...) He didn't say that, exactly. He said every "meaningful" (paraphrasing) true claim is falsifiable and then proceeded to show why non falsifiable claims don't help us in our understanding. (...) Good point but while you're thinking about that, (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Enduring Marxism

(...) It's amazing to think that some of their film work is almost 70 years old! Duck Soup, in its day, was deemed so volatile that Il Duce banned its screening in Italy for several years, and its madcap anti-war sentiment was echoed fully 40 years (...) (24 years ago, 1-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact