 Off-Topic / Debate / *4731 (-20)
  4. Why are some nonbelievers admirable people?

(...) I'm not going to debate this, because there have been a lot. Just like the Christian has to ask "Why are some atheists, Mormons and Jews decent people?" (DUCK NOW!) the atheist wonders "Why are some Christians good people?" The reality is most (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  3. What exactly is bigotry? More definitions. Trolling admitted.

(...) Well, I guess it was a troll. But I left off the really bad names! I don't think Christianity has much power to form character traits like intellectual curiosity, productivity, attentiveness, and hipness, so more second-generation Christians (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  2. The Good Life

(...) The Good Life. Aristotle said the good life was to become happy by pursuing the best goals, that is, to excel in whatever you are capable of. To be the best example of what you are. That you are the purpose of your own life, there is no higher (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  1. Vs. Original Sin

(...) I don't recall such a thing in any other creed. Is this article of faith meant to quibble with or clarify Paul? Not sure myself whether Paul is as important to Mormons, as he is to say Lutherans or Baptists (who make a very big deal out of (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

(...) In the same way that calling Lego brand building blocks "legos" is trademark dilution. In the same way that calling facial tissue "Kleenex" is. Well, not precisely the same, because those usages probably aren't negative, just dilutive, but (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

Moved to off-topic.debate (...) Huh? Maybe there's some facet of trademark law I'm unfamiliar with, but how is *discussing* a product, even in negative terms, a trademark dilution? Are you seriously suggesting that saying something negative (even as (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Lugnet for beginners

(...) I've (...) I believe his characterization of IE would fall under (political) parody and is therefore fair use. The other possibility is that he meant it as fact, which he would be completely justified as claiming, even in court. I'm not sure (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why do we know all of this? (was Re: evolution)

(...) And, I must jump in, cause, well, I do, but if I remember my History of Anthropology course (if only I could find my notes!) it was actually Herbert Spencer (a wild and wacky social darwinist) coined that term. (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why do we know all of this? (was Re: evolution)

(...) Ack! >_<;; I took "The evolution of human nature" (aka intro to sociobiology) which the first third of the class focused on "real" evolution. Then in my "history of anthropology" (aka anthro theory) class, we started out with some of the (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Just a suggestion... (Was: Re: Mormon bashing again)

(...) *whiny voice* I heard that they don't drink coke. is that true? Do they really have horns that they file off? Do they wear super underwear? (they do do that, but it's not super underwear) ^_- (Warning: this has all been in fun, I'm a wacky (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) intend (...) do (...) saved. (...) don't (...) I think his point was relating to those Christians who believe that the saving is something for the afterlife. In that case, he's mostly right. Of course he's (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Are you lobbying to have this changed to lugnet.off-topic.troll? (...) How do you know that? Are you claiming omniscience? You *believe* no one knows if they're saved with the same apparant fervor that many christians *believe* they are saved. (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think that's the underlying problem with labels, and yet they are a necessary evil. So many groups have been borne of a desire to be non-denominational and unifying; then begin to focus on what makes them different from everyone else to the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Hmm. (...) Okay, I see your point. Sorry about the accusation. (...) And now you're buttering me up. I can accept that. :-, So why is it that many Christians are so unforgiving in other peoples' religions? Especially towards Christians of (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) It's obvious from the above statement that your just trying to stir the pot, but you DO make many good points. (...) Not true. That's your opinion, on what authority do you base it? (...) Jesus did just that, and continues to answer that very (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) It's funny you mention that. An article of my church's faith declares that "we belive that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression." (...) What then is the good life? Can you tell me that? Can anyone (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

It's gotten quiet here, and we're off the lugnet.homepage. I'm going to see if anything runs out of the bushes when I do this... All this splitting hairs & quoting Paul to rule on whether a sinner can be saved and get away with sinning.... I sure (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I don't reject a god who gives a pass to murderers, if the murderer in question makes up for the loss. And don't get me wrong -- taking a life is a huge thing to make up for IMO, something which few if any can do. But I reserve the right to (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact