 Off-Topic / Debate / 4712
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:06:48 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
To repeat, I reject a god that gives a pass to murderers. And you should
too. But you sure don't have to if you don't want to.

I don't reject a god who gives a pass to murderers, if the murderer in
question makes up for the loss.  And don't get me wrong -- taking a life is a
huge thing to make up for IMO, something which few if any can do.  But I
reserve the right to recognize the possibility of it.

But do I like the idea of worshiping a god who expects us to be held
accountable for our actions, and who is willing to accept repentance only when
offered alongside reconstructive efforts.  Otherwise, I can lie and cheat and
steal and produce soap operas on Fox, then suddenly one day I say "I believe"
and everything's fine?  Feh.  The "I believe" thing is a *good* start, but
efforts to undo the harm I've done is absolutely essential.

Pure faith by itself is wasted energy.  Exercising faith without works is like
trying to leech away from everyone else's work.  I thought it would be kind of
obvious that actions speak a lot about what kind of person you are.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society