 Off-Topic / Debate / 4713
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:41:37 GMT

It's gotten quiet here, and we're off the lugnet.homepage. I'm going to see if
anything runs out of the bushes when I do this...

All this splitting hairs & quoting Paul to rule on whether a sinner can be saved
and get away with sinning.... I sure hope you religious people intend for your
flocks to interpret this as having some relevance for what they do right now.
Because I'll tell you this: NOT ONE OF YOU knows if you're saved. It's ALL hair-
splitting. Nobody comes back from death to answer that question. It's whatever
you say it is. It's all in your head. Worrying about these conditions is a
pointless exercise in self-torture. And you have millions of people more
confused by this junk.

I've been a camp counselor and seen kids without that great a father-son
relationship trying to make up the deficiency with an imaginary God that doesn't
talk back to them, and becoming more screwed up every day for trying.

The whole debate between 'unweaned' and 'wiser' Christians about what we get for
our works of righteousness, is first about Original Sin. And it's never settled
because happy people don't buy it.  If you didn't consider every one guilty by
nature, you might have been able to make some progress in bettering mankind. As
it is, hordes of doubt-plagued Christians remain confused about their motivation
for their daily acts. (Because they don't know who the supposed beneficiary of
their actions is.) But two thousand years later Christians still go on and on
about the inhumanity of Christian people to each other, how unfit our nations
are because we make technological progress but can't pass the moral majority's
bar exam. Christianity perpetuates ignorance about what the good life is, and
raises its children up to be bigots, sloths, mindless drones and worse, which it
is powerless to prevent except by making people feel *guilty* by threatening
God's judgment. If someone seems to be leading a good life, you notify them that
they're going to burn in hell if they don't make changes. This phenomenon is the
first clue that the whole Judeo-Christian tradition is *part of the problem on
Earth*. And there isn't anywhere else that matters.