 Off-Topic / Debate / 4716
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:14:32 GMT

Eugene Ipavec wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eugene Ipavec writes:
[snip Christianity discussion]  And as for the other
sort-of major religions: the Mormons, the Baha'i, the Zoroaster-worshippers,
New Age fuzzy-thinkers--the Christians spend a good amount of time and effort
trying to debunk them.
No matter how much I try, there's always going to be someone who tells me I am
not a Christian simply because I'm a Mormon.  I know it doesn't mean a whole
lot to mr. Ipavec, but it's fairly important to me.
Goodness, no.  I meant nothing of the sort.  Whether the LDS is Christian is as
much for me to say as whether the Shi'ites are Moslem.  Which is to say not at
all.

Hmm.

What I was referring to by the generic "Christians" was the sort of Protestant,
usually fundamentalist, Christians who seem to consider themselves the
guardians of the faith and the final arbiters of who may consider themselves
*christian*.  Sort of like a franchiser.

Okay, I see your point.  Sorry about the accusation.

In my (therefore biased) mind to call someone a Mormon
rather than a Christian is actually something of a compliment, although I don't
know of a reason why someone can't be both.

And now you're buttering me up.  I can accept that.  :-,

So why is it that many Christians are so unforgiving in other peoples'
religions?  Especially towards Christians of other faiths.  It's sometimes
like being surrounded by a We're Better Than You Club.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society