 Off-Topic / Debate / *14711 (-20)
  Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)

(...) But as you of all people konw, science doesn't declare truths; it's a system of explanation endlessly refined to fit more closely with observation. Christianity, by contrast, declares certain absolutes that remain absolute regardless of (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament

(...) The most basic moral law that I can postulate would be some derivative of selfless love. Any lesser principle would be subservient to this, and thus, morally broken. Theft could clearly be moral, if, for example, one were stealing guns from an (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

Hi Rick and all, The main points in this post that I agree with, are: (...) Oh-so-totally-true. What *you* believe is what matters. My beliefs are very different than, say, my Jewish friend Mimi's beliefs. It doesn't matter that we are both Jewish - (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)

(...) We're arguing semantics, I think, over the meaning of "impossible". I am suggesting that if there are absolute limits, they limit everything (including God). You are stating that if there are are absolute limits, God can't exist. That doesn't (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) May not be your way of thinking, but I actually thought that the above was fairly brilliant. Sorry for the compliment -- I'll try to piss you off later to make up for it, K? (...) Windowpane? Blotter? What? No microdot?! =) I am very serious (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)

(...) That's ok. I think the subject of debate in this thread is James' (pick one) view on Christianity. You'll have to take the battles as they come. Certainly I could try the turn-around on you: - Science is wrong, cuz it says the world is flat. - (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)

(...) What I was attempting to do was provide a conception of a being that can perform what throughout this debate has been considered a logical impossibility. I don't see how offering one criterion without excluding others is a restriction on (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) Me too, sometimes. I think (1) the Koran may have the same problems. But when I asked about it what I got was a load of "you're not being tolerant enough, how dare you ask"... at least that's how I read the net net of what I got back. Would it (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Nam-shub of Enki (was Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament)

(...) Errr.. -Kurt- Vonnegut - sorry, it's 2.00am here... (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)

(...) So in other words, you're changing your definition of impossible. You are restricting impossible to mean "impossible within my frame of reference". (...) Dave E addressed this more eloquently than I can, I suspect, so I will only comment that (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Nam-shub of Enki (was Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament)

Actually, while I stand by my previous post, you bring up some pretty decent arguements here... "richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:GMunx4.D0I@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) he (...) mythology, (...) techniques (...) it. I (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) For my interest, since on Lugnet I've pursued a more atheist posture than theist, I would say that my enthusiasm for this debate (elsewhere, as much as here) stems from my desire to prevent others from legislating their beliefs and from a (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) It's probably hostility against the actions of such persons inappropriately expressing itself as antipathy for the ideas held by such persons. Just a thought, -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)

(...) In that case we must be careful, or else we're once again presented with a receding target: A. How about this criterion? B. Well, that's not the *real* Christian God. A. Okay, how about this criterion? B. Well, that's not the *real* Christian (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Nam-shub of Enki (was Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament)

(...) Yeah, it's a decent read. I'll give it that. It's just that I liked all the extensive quoting more than the actual story. (...) Doh! But don't you think that Stephenson is developing an ethical system defended by his Hiro? We agree with those (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Nam-shub of Enki (was Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament)

I just thought it was a neat story with a groovy idea is all... If you want to read motivations or morals into a book, there's always the bible. I'm sure it even talks about the evils of a hirarchical government in there -somewhere- ;0) "richard (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 14 posts by Scott just now

You could always just add him to your kill file. In Outlook Express - Message/Block Sender Easy... "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GLo4nt.BF6@lugnet.com... (...) something (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament

(...) The more I think about it, I think we *did* invent math. The fact that numerical analysis appears basic to us merely meaning that math is likely to be conceived of similarly elsewhere. (...) About math? Sure. About God's ability to *change* (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) I've more often envisioned that when they came to my house, I'd invite them in, and explain my religious perspective to them. I'd probably quite enjoy it. Presuming I wasn't in the middle of something. Actually, someone did that to me on the (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Faith Issue

Hey Y'all: Reading another thread has put me squarely in mind of my real problems with Xtianity, and more particularly with Xtians in a more general way. [note: I don't so much mean the Xtians taking part in the other thread, many of whom are making (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact