 Off-Topic / Debate / 14700
Re: The Faith Issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:22:54 GMT

I haven't noticed it at all on Lugnet. Quite the opposite in fact. Many more
times I've seen athiests (etc) try and convince the "Christian at large" that
one cannot believe in God, can't take the Bible on faith, etc.

It's probably hostility against the actions of such persons inappropriately
expressing itself as antipathy for the ideas held by such persons.

  For my interest, since on Lugnet I've pursued a more atheist posture than
theist, I would say that my enthusiasm for this debate (elsewhere, as much
as here) stems from my desire to prevent others from legislating their
beliefs and from a standing objection to the assertion that the bible is
inerrant, that it can be verified empirically, and that it is
non-contradictory.  Except when participants make it personal--which doesn't
happen often here--I try to reserve my rhetorical aggression for the debate
and not for the debaters.
  I've never tried to convince anyone that one can't believe in God--far
from it!  I have, however, tried to demonstrate to people that one person's
faith in God, even if that faith is supported by a hundred personal
epiphanies, is insufficient evidence for anyone else to conclude empirically
that God exists.  I have also tried to demonstrate to people that casual
"evidence" is not the same as empirical "evidence," and that the two are not
equivalent and cannot be used interchangeably.

       Dave!