 Off-Topic / Debate / 14702
Re: One of my issues (Warning: even wordier than usual)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:57:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

If you can conceive of a being that can do something that can't be done, I'm
impressed - but I don't think you can, by definition.  If a being (God or
otherwise) can do something, then that something isn't impossible.  "doing
the impossible" is a null statement, and logically contradicts itself.

I can conceive of such a being in at least abstract terms, such as "that
being which is not bound by our definition of logical impossibility."

So in other words, you're changing your definition of impossible.  You are
restricting impossible to mean "impossible within my frame of reference".

Now, if you mean you can conceive of something that is impossible *as you
understand how things work* that's in many regards very different.   It's
easy to concieve of something that is greater than my understanding.

And mine too, but I'll stand by the logical impossibility requirement.  If
you have any notion at all of the Christian God, then I'd say you have at
least a few ideas about a being able to perform logical impossibilities, such
as being one entity and three entities (if you accept the doctrine of the
Trinity) or a being that existed "before" time. I don't mean to play word
games, either, since those would be beneath an infinite being; I mean
literally existing as three entities and also being one single entity, and
existing *before* time, rather than "existing in a time before our notion of
time."  If either of these can be demonstrated to me, than I'll believe I've
witnessed a miracle and will become the most ardent Christian apologist the
world has ever known.

Dave E addressed this more eloquently than I can, I suspect, so I will only
comment that you are again attempting to establish a frame of reference, and
then postulate beyond it as an invalidation of God.

Further, the very act of claiming certain things to be off-limits in this
way is to commit the falacy of the receding target: