 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2197
Re: new MB sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:43:31 GMT

Referencing the new $20 Warthog plane set for anyone who didn't follow that.

And here are a few thoughts about the set overall:

The good:  Lots of light- and dark-gray, lots of cool new elements, and a
good piece:price count as always.  I love the cockpit, and I'm thrilled that
MEGABLOKS has finally released new plate-height wing pieces.  In general, the
design of the set is good, too.

The bad (but not *that* bad):  Juniorization.  I hate hate hate the nosecone,
and I particularly hate it because the GAU-8 gun is molded in place!  How
hard would it have been to put a two-stud attachment point on a removable gun,
thereby greatly increasing its playability?  This was really disappointing for >me.

Oddly enough I just got this set myself two days ago and was going to point this
out too. Rather frustrating.

Also, I've never liked the smooth-tread wheels that come with this set, and
MEGABLOKS has had them in circulation for at least six or seven years.
They've shown their ability to make other, better wheel designs--let's see
them here.

The ugly:  The ordnance is utterly disappointing.  With the exception of the
two small missiles, all of the bombs have hollow undersurfaces, making them
only usable in top-view constructions.  Would it have been so tough to make
two-piece bombs with a top and bottom shell, attachable on standard studs?
The fuel tanks for the Tactical Fighter are designed that way, as are the
larger missiles that come with that set.  I'm really annoyed at this aspect of
an otherwise very nice set.

I was going to point this out too. As far as the actuall plane I think it is the
best design of the three $20 ones, but the "weapons" it comes with are really
rather useless for building with. The hollow bottom missles/bombs are espically
annoying considering this is the only $20 plane that doesn't have 'chunks'
missing from the bottom of its main body and could have otherwise looked good
from the underside.

Pooh-pooh on MEGABLOKS for taking a disappointing shortcut.

Yup.

Dave!

-Mike Petrucelli