 Model Team / 542
Re: DEMAG crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:59:47 GMT

Hi Thomas,

Companies mostimes doesn’t respond on requests of information for scale
modelling. You’ll probably know that Mammoet/Van Seumeren is a very popular
company in the world of scale modelling. Maybe people build their trucks and
cranes. When you’re at the Modelshow Europe, you can see that immediately.
At the beginning of ’96 I wanted to build one of their trucks. I wrote a
letter and sent it to them. Than my letter came on the desk of Jan van Wees.
Never heard of that guy, but he’s the scale modelling expert of the company.
Since the early 90s he also participate on the Modelshow Europe and other
events in the field of heavy haulage and lifting. While I started to visit
events in spring ’96 I could not possibly know their way of working. So
after I wrote that letter Jan called me up. I said I need some chassis
drawings and pictures. He agreed, but he wanted to see the result when my
model was finished. He said that because many people asks for info and then
Jan never hears anything from them. But for me it doesn’t seems to be a
problem. I promissed him to send some pictures of the LEGO-model when it was
finished. SInce then I meet Jan on the various events on which I participate
as well. There I speak to him sometimes. Via this way it’s possible to ask
for some info. For ‘unknown’ people sometimes it’s not easy. I will ask Jan
for some info about the MSG-50 containirized crane. I will probably see Jan
on the next 13th April during the Modelshow Europe. Maybe he has some clear
pictures. When I have some I will scan them and put them on Brickshelf so
you can download them.

The scale of Ron’s crane is 1:24. First he wanted to build a scale 1:13 (!!)
model, but then the crane would be so big he doesn’t have room for it at his
place. Although, the 1:24 scale model is huge!! He said he would try to
build a four metres high boom (fly jib incl.). We’ll know more about it next
year when he’s hopes to finish it (actually a crane is never finished,
right?). I will make some pictures during the next show and post them on
Brickshelf and a link to my website.

ps: maybe I going to build a huge crane as well. I will need some time to
think about it before I start with it. Problem is that I have lack of black
pieces right now. They are use for other models and I don’t want to buy more
while I just bought a car. That has cost a lot of money, so I don’t do large
expenses coming months. While I also am very limited in space (our hobby
room is chock full of models and LEGO pieces) I actually can’t buy more
because I can’t store it. My brother and I works in the same room.

I will let you know when I have more info about the MSG-50. Futher I will
search for some detailed images in magazines. I will upload them on
Brickshelf as well when I have some.

Dennis

In lugnet.modelteam, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.modelteam, Dennis Bosman writes:
Thomas, do you have plans to build a crane? Once you said you’re going to
build an off-shore crane. Will it be such a crane? I only have seen one guy
who build one, but that wasn’t a great model. He only built the crane
itself, so without the vessel. I think the vessel is one of the main parts
of the crane, but the constructor probably had some other thoughts.

Perhaps in the future I'll go for an offshore crane. Right now I'm focusing
on a more transportable model; something I can take to Brickfest, should I go.

Mammoet's MSG 50 is quite nice, but I don't have any details except for a
few poor pictures. I've contacted Mammoet and they've not responded. I've
also contacted Jan van Wees and he's not responded either.

The key elements to a large offshore crane (see
http://www.texbrick.com/offshore ), and also the MSG 50, are the parts that
make up the circular rails. I've got a nice solution for that and now all I
need is a few months of good building time (don't we all!).

As for modelling the vessel that goes along with an offshore crane, I'd say
no way! If you build the crane on any decent scale (say 1:50), then the
parts required to construct the vessel would be tremendous. It would also
result in a model the size of a small car!

Cranes are always great, especially of LEGO. Hopefully I will see some
during the Modelshow coming month. One of my friends is building two cranes:
a Liebherr LGD1800 (space lifter) and an AK850. It’s only a shame that he
has lack of time for his hobbies. He building for about four year already!!
Both cranes are Black Cat wheel based, so there on scale 1:18. I think he
will need a few years to finish them …. 

The DEMAG CC12600 is making sligthly progress as well. Ron had plans to
build a main boom for the modelshow but as he’s building 1:24 models first,
he put the project aside for some months. He will continue next month.

I can't wait to see Ron's Demag. If I remember correctly, it's on 1:15
scale, right? I recall past discussions when we were estimating the boom
height of the model. Something like 5 or 6 meters?

TJ