 Model Team / 534
Re: DEMAG crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Dennis Bosman writes:
Thomas, do you have plans to build a crane? Once you said you’re going to
build an off-shore crane. Will it be such a crane? I only have seen one guy
who build one, but that wasn’t a great model. He only built the crane
itself, so without the vessel. I think the vessel is one of the main parts
of the crane, but the constructor probably had some other thoughts.

Perhaps in the future I'll go for an offshore crane. Right now I'm focusing
on a more transportable model; something I can take to Brickfest, should I go.

Mammoet's MSG 50 is quite nice, but I don't have any details except for a
few poor pictures. I've contacted Mammoet and they've not responded. I've
also contacted Jan van Wees and he's not responded either.

The key elements to a large offshore crane (see
http://www.texbrick.com/offshore ), and also the MSG 50, are the parts that
make up the circular rails. I've got a nice solution for that and now all I
need is a few months of good building time (don't we all!).

As for modelling the vessel that goes along with an offshore crane, I'd say
no way! If you build the crane on any decent scale (say 1:50), then the
parts required to construct the vessel would be tremendous. It would also
result in a model the size of a small car!

Cranes are always great, especially of LEGO. Hopefully I will see some
during the Modelshow coming month. One of my friends is building two cranes:
a Liebherr LGD1800 (space lifter) and an AK850. It’s only a shame that he
has lack of time for his hobbies. He building for about four year already!!
Both cranes are Black Cat wheel based, so there on scale 1:18. I think he
will need a few years to finish them …. 

The DEMAG CC12600 is making sligthly progress as well. Ron had plans to
build a main boom for the modelshow but as he’s building 1:24 models first,
he put the project aside for some months. He will continue next month.

I can't wait to see Ron's Demag. If I remember correctly, it's on 1:15
scale, right? I recall past discussions when we were estimating the boom
height of the model. Something like 5 or 6 meters?

TJ