 Model Team / 524
523  |  525
Subject:
DEMAG crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:24:53 GMT

Hi Beat,

As I’ve said in my previous message, your crane will be great. I was
completely surprised when I saw the first pictures.

What’s the lenght of the undercarriage? You wrote the crane is 26 stud wide.
Why that? Our cranes (Ron Jansen’s LTM1400 and my LG1550) where both 24
studs wide (= approx. 300 cm). I was hard to figure out what the wheel size
was. I thought 1:15,6 would be a good scale for the crane. When I build
another one, I will use the same scale because two 12r technic axles I use
for all rigid axles. I would like to keep it that way. But I’m curious how
your crane will look like when it’s done. It will be an impressive one I guess.

The telescopic boom will be very hard to construct. I told that my friend
Ron when he was building his LTM1400. He said: just wait, I will manage
that! And he was right. His crane was 3.3 metres in height! Unbelieveble,
what a challange! He bought many red bricks and plates to reach that height.
A latice boom crane is easier to build because of the weight of the boom.
The LTM1400 didn’t has a real working luffing mechanism. Ron used aluminium
telescopic cylinders to keep the boom in vertical position.
Now Ron is building a DEMAG CC12600. Unfortunately he’s very busy, so he
didn’t had much time left to go further with it. Hopefully the crane will be
done next year when we will be present on the Modelshow Europe. If you are
able to take a visit, you sure have to do.

Maybe I will start to build a crane too. I have plans to break off the
Liebherr excavator after the Modelshow Europe. Than I have a lot of yellow
pieces. But I need some black parts as well. I don’t want to buy a lot of
pieces when I have a lot already. Problem is that I already used those black
pieces for other models. So I have to break off others as well. I will see.
I have a couple of cranes which I would like to build:
 Liebherr LG1550 (yes, another one)
 Gottwald AK850
 Liebherr LR1400 (crawler track crane, 1:13)
 Sennebogen crawler track crane

All are latice boom cranes. I also would like to build a DEMAG AC650, but
then I really have to break off everything. Because I’m specialized in heavy
haulage (low loader trucks with crawler tracked machines) I think I will
build or the LR1400 or the Sennebogen. I will let you know.

Thanks for sharring these pictures. Please let us know when your model is
making progress. I wish I could see it in real once. It would be great to
see so many LEGO cranes on one show!

Greeting from Holland,

Dennis Bosman