 Model Team / 527
Re: DEMAG crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:31:55 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Dennis Bosman writes:
Hi Beat,

Hi Dennis

First I want to say you that you are very lucky. Currently I don't have much
time for my hobby and internet, because there is much work to do for my studies.
But normally, I take an hour after weekends to have a look what's new on the
web, concerning our hobby. And so I found your message (more by hazard).

As I’ve said in my previous message, your crane will be great. I was
completely surprised when I saw the first pictures.

Thanks. Yes, this one will be a machine in a size I never have built a model
before. Now that I have exactly 16 wheels of the size 24x43 with white rims,
I am able to realize my dream of building a mobile crane.

What’s the lenght of the undercarriage? You wrote the crane is 26 stud wide.
Why that? Our cranes (Ron Jansen’s LTM1400 and my LG1550) where both 24
studs wide (= approx. 300 cm). I was hard to figure out what the wheel size
was. I thought 1:15,6 would be a good scale for the crane. When I build
another one, I will use the same scale because two 12r technic axles I use
for all rigid axles. I would like to keep it that way. But I’m curious how
your crane will look like when it’s done. It will be an impressive one I guess.

The 26 studs in width seem a bit strange - I know. When doing the first
calculations, I realized that the chassis will have a width of about 21
studs, If I would take the 24x43 wheels perfectly in scale. But because I
have already built the outriggers which are 6 studs in width (which is
needed for functionality), I decided to build the whole crane 26 studs in
width. So I will have enough space for the frame.
Based on the 26 studs which are 3.0 meters in reality, I calculated the
other dimensions, with a scale of 1 to 14.4. This means that the wheels are
just about 90% of the size they should have, but this results in some
advantages. A Lego model needs more space for the wheels to realize a
steering mechanism because the turning axle is not within the wheel but
quite a bit outside. This results in a bigger area, a wheel is moving on
during steering.
The overall lenght of the chassis will be 1.2 meters and the lenght with the
boom down will be a bit more.

The telescopic boom will be very hard to construct. I told that my friend
Ron when he was building his LTM1400. He said: just wait, I will manage
that! And he was right. His crane was 3.3 metres in height! Unbelieveble,
what a challange! He bought many red bricks and plates to reach that height.
A latice boom crane is easier to build because of the weight of the boom.
The LTM1400 didn’t has a real working luffing mechanism. Ron used aluminium
telescopic cylinders to keep the boom in vertical position.
Now Ron is building a DEMAG CC12600. Unfortunately he’s very busy, so he
didn’t had much time left to go further with it. Hopefully the crane will be
done next year when we will be present on the Modelshow Europe. If you are
able to take a visit, you sure have to do.

For the telescopic boom I've choosen another solution. It is built mostly of
plates which are connected trough technic beams at the edges. This results
in a lighter and stiffer construction that building it with bricks. (Btw I
don't have enough bricks to build such a boom). It will feature three
sections which I try to make look like five. (A similar solution as Jennifer
used on her new Demag AC 50-1)
I still think that I can realize a mechanical hydraulic cylinder. There are
two possibilities: build it with a wormed gear and a gearrack or use a
string which is parted many times and moves the whole thing. Will see which
version is the better one.

I still would like to come to Ochten, but I won't be able to transport my
model and just for visiting the show, I was too expensive for me.

Maybe I will start to build a crane too. I have plans to break off the
Liebherr excavator after the Modelshow Europe. Than I have a lot of yellow
pieces. But I need some black parts as well. I don’t want to buy a lot of
pieces when I have a lot already. Problem is that I already used those black
pieces for other models. So I have to break off others as well. I will see.
I have a couple of cranes which I would like to build:
 Liebherr LG1550 (yes, another one)
 Gottwald AK850
 Liebherr LR1400 (crawler track crane, 1:13)
 Sennebogen crawler track crane

This is quite an impressive list of cranes. Everyone of them I also could
imagine to build. Do you have enough pictures of the Liebherr LR 1400? I was
able to take some pics of the Liebherr LR 1400 of Fanger, a Swiss enterprise.
Send me a mail if you should be interested in. I also have some pics of a
Liebherr LTM 1050, and a Liebherr LTM 1500.

Currently I can see an old Liebherr lattice boom crane with 250 tons
capacity, every time I commute to University. Unfortunately I can't go and
take some pics because the machine stands on an area I don't have access to.

All are latice boom cranes. I also would like to build a DEMAG AC650, but
then I really have to break off everything. Because I’m specialized in heavy
haulage (low loader trucks with crawler tracked machines) I think I will
build or the LR1400 or the Sennebogen. I will let you know.

Please don't build a Demag AC 650 - this one would be bigger that mine.
(Just kidding - feel free to build what you are dreaming of).

Thanks for sharring these pictures. Please let us know when your model is
making progress. I wish I could see it in real once. It would be great to
see so many LEGO cranes on one show!

Yes, I will let you know all. Perhaps I will do some progress over easter,
because I will have a week of holydays then.

Greeting from Holland,

Greetings from Switzerland

Dennis Bosman

Beat