 Model Team / 528
Re: DEMAG crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:39:03 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Beat Felber writes:

Based on the 26 studs which are 3.0 meters in reality, I calculated the
other dimensions, with a scale of 1 to 14.4. This means that the wheels are
just about 90% of the size they should have, but this results in some
advantages. A Lego model needs more space for the wheels to realize a
steering mechanism because the turning axle is not within the wheel but
quite a bit outside. This results in a bigger area, a wheel is moving on
during steering.

Great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ? :-)

I had very similar thoughts when building the latest crane, and indeed it is
slightly wider than it should be too. I'm not at all averse to fudging the
dimensions in this manner as long as the result looks ok, and to be honest I
think it looks better a little wider.

Sometimes I find that copying the dimensions exactly leads to an odd looking
model, and I actually have to exaggerate or underplay a dimension to make
the model look "right". I think this has to do with the fact that with lego
you are often making a caricature rather than a true representation, at
least at 1:20 scale anyway.

Jennifer