 MediaWatch / 512
Re: LEGO-Galidor Perspective In L.A. Times Article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:27:05 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Gerber writes:
Andrew Black covers some of the burning questions many people are asking in
other threads in this article from yesterday's L.A. Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-000010593feb11.story

Some relevant quotes:

"We're redefining Lego," said Andrew Black, president of the company's
Americas division. "It's not just about bricks. It's about learning and
different ways of using your mind."

"If you bought five or six Galidor toys, took all the pieces apart and then
rebuilt them, you can create products Lego hasn't thought of," Black said.
"What you're seeing us do is creating and redefining the company. We're
creating new forms of building and in this particular case, we've done what
we do so well in creating a new building system and marrying it with story."

Black said each of Lego's new products could be seen as a construction
product, just using different kinds of building blocks.
"With Galidor, you're building action figures," Black said. "With Music
Builder, you're building songs.

"We've taken what was traditional Lego and we've created a brand new
building system that's never been done before."

Matt

you know whats sad and my worst fear, is later in the year when these
products arent making LEGO any money, the bricks are going to be sold for
more to pay for the losses. i criticized LEGO before, and figured it was
wrong, who am i to criticize a toy company on what direction they go, but as
a costumer of LEGO, i fear the betrayal isnt far off when i purchase a
mega-block set. one ive been eyeing for while is the battle ship which i
think is only $50 for over a 1000 bricks, grey bricks!,  i know the quality
isnt that great, but seems they fit lego bricks perfect. i would use their
bricks together with specialty bricks from lego. i havent yet, but its
close, especially after reading this. iv worked with an engineering firm
which had a great idea of expanding, and being as closeminded as they were,
this expansion has crippled and slowly destroyed the expansion of the
original intent of the company. i hope lego doesnt go this way. if a theme
doesnt sell, discontinue it, go back to basics something that sold and made
money. cause im not going to be paying twice as much for bricks.

i am very happy with the legends by the way, iv got the gaurded inn. bring
back the original lions castle 6080 next. is there a way to vote on which
set will be brought back next?

peter