 MediaWatch / 513
Re: Goodbye Lego, hello Megablocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:19:31 GMT

Oh  don't think it is that drastic. I think maybe some of us are getting
higher expectations.  The kids I see in the shops are ga ga's about some of
the stuff.  The Bionicles sell quite well for a start and young boys seem to
love them (as well as older boys).  I think when you become a Lego fan as a
growing adult, we start to get a little old about a few things and want
more.  Some kids don't think about it like that and if they want something,
they'll use Lego and their imaginations and build it.  Isn't that what lego
is about??

I personally think Lego is the best toy a child could have, it has
everything. We can't forget the company has been around for a long time.
Ideas on what to produce probably isn't as easy as we may think when it
comes to new products and their customers needs and wants.  Sure we might
want new this and new that, it's impossible to satisfy everyone with what
they want.  I think Lego are trying quite hard at the moment to listen to us
a little bit more, as well as still try and keep with the times, and to the
children who still see Lego as a toy they love, rather than a
builders/collectors hobby like ourselves.

This of course takes time and may take awhile for us to see this.  But look
what they are trying to do for us... bringing back Classic/Legend sets,
shop@home with sets not all kids/parents could afford, and a whole range of
allsorts of stuff, if we like it or not.  I think all we can do, is keep
trying to show Lego what we'd like to see, that way they can read/hear/see
what some of their market would like, maybe we'll all get a little bit of
this and that, eventually.

I would like to see MB or other companies try and meet their customers needs
as much as Lego try to.  I think we are lucky they even care!  Some of us
seem such ungrateful little brats (haha).  Lego arn't going to be too hurt
by a few people who decide Lego isn't for them anymore.  They will always
have fans, of either yesterday, now or the future.  Sure I agree with you on
a personal level about some things regarding Lego, but there's not a great
deal we can do about it, just wait and hope everyone else feels the same and
then hope they do something about it!

Mel  (just blabbing on as perusual :P - don't take anything I've said to
offence... just like you, everyone's allowed an opinion :))

Hi all,
Well, as much as i love my lego, I think i am coming to the point that I will
not be buying much more of it.  After seeing the 2002 lineup, and mainly its
incredible *lack* of focus, well, aside from the odd set, i think i am on the
way out with regards to lego.

This is not to say i am out of building systems, in fact, i am going to start
looking seriously at megablocks.  I have seen some of the sets now up close and
out of the package, and i am more impressed with them than i have been with
lego in recent years.

Specifically:

- price- way more affordable than lego
- piece count- higher than lego
- designs- much less juniorized than lego
- piece types and colours- just as much variety as lego, and if you have it in
lego but not megablocks, just mix them.

Another big reason:  Megablocks is a canadian company.  One that i think i may
try to get a job with- they are focused, and because of that, they are gaining
market share (it appears).

I am also dismayed that lego would actually fall into the role of 'follower' to
a company like megablocks.  For example, the lego extreme sports stuff due out
this year is a direct ripoff of the existing megablocks sets.

My hope is that megablocks gains more market share so they can start to improve
plastic quality.  Other than that, they seem to have it going on.

Lego- you brought this on yourself.  In times of economic strife, you do not
gamble on new diverse lines- you should focus on your core products and keeping
a loyal customer base.  For every flash-in-the-pan galidor, or bionicle, you
alienate a few more of us, and it will be the death of you, because eventually
the well will run dry.  We are some of the people who create multigenerational
lego buyers, we pass it on to our children (hopefully).  It seems like all i
will have to pass on is an old collection, not any excitement at a new
catalogue coming out.  I am sad that it has come to this, and i hope TLC finds
its way again before it is too late.

It seems TLC is using the games workshop marketing strategy- constantly new
products of mediocre design and high cost, deisgned to hook someone for a short
time, get them to dump lots of money quickly, and then whenn they sober up,
they move on.  The cycle repeats itself with the next child.  I just couldn't
believe that a child could get bored with lego, until i started looking at the
new products.  Before its too late lego, you must re-evaluate your approach.

john