 MediaWatch / 509
508  |  510
Subject:
Goodbye Lego, hello Megablocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:13:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,
  Well, as much as i love my lego, I think i am coming to the point that I will
not be buying much more of it.  After seeing the 2002 lineup, and mainly its
incredible *lack* of focus, well, aside from the odd set, i think i am on the
way out with regards to lego.

  This is not to say i am out of building systems, in fact, i am going to start
looking seriously at megablocks.  I have seen some of the sets now up close and
out of the package, and i am more impressed with them than i have been with
lego in recent years.

Specifically:

- price- way more affordable than lego
- piece count- higher than lego
- designs- much less juniorized than lego
- piece types and colours- just as much variety as lego, and if you have it in
lego but not megablocks, just mix them.

Another big reason:  Megablocks is a canadian company.  One that i think i may
try to get a job with- they are focused, and because of that, they are gaining
market share (it appears).

I am also dismayed that lego would actually fall into the role of 'follower' to
a company like megablocks.  For example, the lego extreme sports stuff due out
this year is a direct ripoff of the existing megablocks sets.

My hope is that megablocks gains more market share so they can start to improve
plastic quality.  Other than that, they seem to have it going on.

Lego- you brought this on yourself.  In times of economic strife, you do not
gamble on new diverse lines- you should focus on your core products and keeping
a loyal customer base.  For every flash-in-the-pan galidor, or bionicle, you
alienate a few more of us, and it will be the death of you, because eventually
the well will run dry.  We are some of the people who create multigenerational
lego buyers, we pass it on to our children (hopefully).  It seems like all i
will have to pass on is an old collection, not any excitement at a new
catalogue coming out.  I am sad that it has come to this, and i hope TLC finds
its way again before it is too late.

It seems TLC is using the games workshop marketing strategy- constantly new
products of mediocre design and high cost, deisgned to hook someone for a short
time, get them to dump lots of money quickly, and then whenn they sober up,
they move on.  The cycle repeats itself with the next child.  I just couldn't
believe that a child could get bored with lego, until i started looking at the
new products.  Before its too late lego, you must re-evaluate your approach.

john