 Marketplace / Theory / 924
Re: X.com... good idea, good execution?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:07:22 GMT

I made a credit card deposit to my X.COM account and it was treated as a
purchase.  Have to love getting those free 1000 frequent flyers miles, • then
writing a check out of that account to cover the credit card bill.

Unfortunately, the credit card companies will put an end to this as soon as
they catch on.  :/

There was a big story on the news a couple years back about something
similar to this.  A couple raked in MILLIONS of frequent flier miles because
their credit card offered a double miles bonus on purchases through
Triple-A[1].  The couple would simply go to triple-a, buy $10,000 worth of
travelers checks, and then use the travelers checks to pay the credit card
bill.

Needless to say, the credit card company put an end to this in a hurry by
changing the rules.

Troy

[1]  I believe it was triple-a, but it was several years ago.  It may have
been through one of the airlines.