 Marketplace / Theory / 932
Re: X.com... good idea, good execution?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:33:08 GMT

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:09:18 GMT, Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com>
wrote:

Also, on most cards I've seen, there is a cash advance fee, and cash
advances don't have an interest free grace period. This is my concern
with x.com, and why I asked about this. If deposits are charged as a
cash advance, it will cost you money to make the deposit. Of course this
will dramatically reduce the desireability of the service unless you
keep a running balance in the account (which is ultimately what they
want). I would guess that within a year or two, the x.com account won't
look any different to a regular checking acount at a major bank
(complete with a monthly fee if your balance is below X). Still usefull,
but not as usefull as it is now.

I don't really see what difference it makes if the deposits are
treated as cash advances or purchases, unless you're only talking
about using actual credit cards for that.

I've used my visa check card twice now to make deposits to my X.com
account.  No worries about how they categorize the purchase, I think.

Then again, I know some people do use actual credit cards for
purchases throughout the month, then pay off the balance each month.
I like using OPM also, but most of the time I just use my check card,
that way I'm not tempted to leave anything on an interest-charging
card...

--
The parts you want and nothing else?