 Marketplace / Theory / 928
Re: X.com... good idea, good execution?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Troy Cefaratti writes:

There was a big story on the news a couple years back about something
similar to this.  A couple raked in MILLIONS of frequent flier miles because
their credit card offered a double miles bonus on purchases through
Triple-A[1].  The couple would simply go to triple-a, buy $10,000 worth of
travelers checks, and then use the travelers checks to pay the credit card
bill.

I remember this too.  You are right that it was AAA.  The couple used AAA
because AAA was the only place where you could buy traveler's checks without
any transaction fee.

The thing that makes the X.COM system unlikely to change is the $1000 per
every six month limit on credit card deposits.

Will