 Marketplace / Theory / 923
Re: ebay just made snipping easier...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:00:42 GMT

I guess that I just don't see this becoming as much of a problem as you guys
seem to think it will be.  As a mater of fact, i think it's kinda neat.  I
know I will be using it to watch some auctions, ones that I probably would
NOT have bid on anyways, but am just interested/curious in seeing what they
sell for.

I think that most "snipers" use automatic software that puts their bids in
at the last second anyways, and doubt that they will change.  It is, after
all, automatic.  Whereas if you "watch" and auction, you have to do exactly
that, watch it and place your bid manually.

It may actually help sellers get a higher price in somce cases.  I know that
if I see certain sets, say the airport shuttle, I won't bother bidding
because they usually go for way too much.  But if I watch it, and notice
that for some reason it hasn't been bid up over $100, then I would surely
bid on it. (A VERY unlikely example, but it is just that, and example)

Troy

Scott A <s.arthur@hw.ac.uk> wrote in message news:Fppwq1.6At@lugnet.com...
You no longer have to place a sentry bid, or use a 3rd party programme.
Members con now "watch" an auction:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buyerguide/watching.html

What is item watching?
"Sometimes you find an item that you're not quite ready to bid on yet, but
you want to keep track of it so that you can easily bid on it when you're
ready. You can use eBay's item watching feature to do just that."

If this really catches on, I think more auctions will be "pulled" as • buyers
may not want to risk not getting a last minute rush.

Scott A