 Marketplace / Theory / 922
Re: eBay nailed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:51:48 GMT

Here are some machines where sysadmins have been told of security holes • and
either: are in league with spammers, or: don't care, or: are clueless. Why • NOT
charge them for packets? They've been warned and don't seem to care.

Now, DoS attacks and spam are only mildly related, but both waste • bandwidth and
both may well be checked a bit by per packet charges.

Bandwidth isn't free and I would say that a sysadmin who through his • negligence
allows his bitpipes to be polluted with crud, thus polluting the internet
environment, is just as liable as a plant engineer at a chemical plant who
through his negligence allows discharge pipes to be polluted with chemical
waste, thus polluting his environment.

So hopefully you see what I'm saying because I cut the rest of the post • away.

++Lar

Under the conditions you describe above, it would surely work.  And if an
admin has been warned, then I agree, they should be held accountable.

I still feel, however, that on a whole it would be ineffective to stop the
problem.  There will always be enough sites that either do not have full
time admins, or have inexeprienced ones.  And the tools of the rackers are
always changing, so even if you have top-notch admins there is no guarantee
that they will anticipate all attacks ahead of time.

Troy