 Marketplace / Theory / 902
Re: eBay nailed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:36:00 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:38A1735A.6EEA@mindspring.com...
What we need to do very soon is start charging per packet. It could be
kept very cheap, but that would trim SPAM and most of these denial of
service activities.

Charging for packet transfer will not solve ANY of these problems, as most
of these things are done by shady charachters who mask their original
identity and location.

As for the recent Distributed Denial of Service attacks, it is unlikely that
one person/company legitimately controled all of the machines used in the
attack.  It is more then likely that they cracked into the 50 or more
computers, set up their DoS script, and then just waited until they had
enough machines set up to do some damage.

To do the ammount of traffic necessary to flood yahoo (1gb/s) the machines
used to attack would also need to have high bandwidth connections, which
leads to university machines or high end corporate site.  I'm sure that
there isn't a University or Company arround that condones this sort of
activity, and making them pay for traffic that they did not have control
over would never be enforceable.

The solution would be for people to improve the security of all their
machines on the net.  Now, I know this would not STOP a DoS attack once it
is started.  But it could PREVENT them by not allowing the cracker access to
enough machines to launch the attack in the first place.

As for SPAM, the majority of it still relies on forged header information
and/or mail servers that still freely relay all messages.

Troy