 Marketplace / Theory / 897
896  |  898
Subject:
eBay nailed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 05:34:23 GMT

Hi everyone,

Well, I hear that the "attack-search" weenies have turned their guns
from Yahoo to eBay and buy.com.  Their method seems to be to simply
overwhelm the search engine with constant queries--by the hundreds of
thousands per minute.  Sure enough, the search engine and all query
spots are malfunctioning at the present time (midnight plus thirty EST),
giving a "no contact" response.  MisterLister also won't connect.  I
wonder, what does one do to protect a site from this intra-internet
version of attack dialing?  Has eBay merely taken the search engine
offline until they can devise a solution?

Just a concern.

best,

Lindsay