 Marketplace / Theory / 917
Re: ebay just made snipping easier...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:22:16 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Scottt A wrote:
It is not my day:
1. I meant sellers
2. Kevin wilso covered this point a good 14 hours before me.

And no-one commented on it. Oh well...

Sorry, I was figuring everyone else would go nuts on it before I got the
chance.

time will tell what effects this
willl have. So far not much that I can see (probably because most people
haven't started using it yet) but I agree Scott, it encourages sniping,
and it is bad for sellers. Probably bad for buyers in the long run too,
because it will be even harder to get the lot you want without sniping.

Bad for sellers or buyers is immaterial.  It's bad for eBay--if people are
waiting until the last second, it doesn't allow for that tumultuous buildup
of price.  If final selling value goes down, eBay's income goes down.  How
they could shoot themselves in the foot this way is beyond me--but then
again, maybe it's not such a big deal:

1) The people who snipe are those who watch constantly in any case.  (I
reeeeallllly want that pirate ship hull, Frank.  ;) )  Whether or not they
can watch an auction may not matter.

2) The people who aren't online that often, or only at the same time each
day, and take their bids seriously will probably not change their bidding
habits.  After all, eBay does notify you of outbiddings and successful bids
already.  And if I can extrapolate from LUGNET, Todd's "watch lists" have
done *nothing* to depress prices or discourage bidding.

So I think that the potential is for it to be bad both for sellers and,
consequently for eBay.  But in practice, I don't think the impact will be
that great.

Just my two copper Lincolns, buy a gumball if you want.  (Gumballs are a
quarter now, though.)

best

Lindsay