 Marketplace / Theory / 816
Re: CC acceptance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:08:02 GMT

Susan Hoover wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I'd like to accept credit cards in payment for stuff like factoring
and for auctions.

...which would be quite handy for factorees and customers, not to
mention safer as far as sending wads of cash overseas goes.

This is the nicest part about being in the US--I've been able to demand
payment in my currency, with reasonable expectation that the buyer will be
able to provide it.

However I am not a big merchant with huge leverage. I also am not
willing to NET less money because I offer this convenience to my
customers.

I thought I had found a way, tell people that if they wanted to use
CC's I had an acceptor but that I would not take the hit, they had
to pay the markup. Now, for some people that's a great deal. They
WANT to pay the markup, and it is NOT the only payment scheme I
accept, so from my perspective I am offering a free choice.

eBay informed me that I cannot state I want surcharges in my auction
listings, it's apparently against CA law.

FWIW, marking up the stated price for CC purchases is also against
Texas state law.  However, giving a "discount" off of the stated prices
for cash/check/money order purchases is not.  (Go figure.)

That's true in MI and NJ as well, IIRC--but it's very grey in both places,
where you can have a "cash price" list and a "credit price list" that
differ.  This is especially true at computer shows.

Larry, have you considered pointing people to BidPay.com?
<http://www.bidpay.com>
They're a service that generates money orders in US$ (for a small "fee"
naturally) from people's credit card accounts, anywhere in the world; they
guarantee the funds, and send out confirming emails as soon as the MO is
purchased, so you can send the product immediately with confidence that
you'll be paid.  I've used it several times and have never encountered a
problem--this might be a way around your credit card difficulty vis-à-vis
auctions.  I don't know if I can offer a suggestion on the factoring,
however.

The "standard" practice is to raise prices to cover the ~4% charge that
the CC companies charge the merchant, and then advertise both prices
("Price: $12.00.  Cash: $11.54").  Liquor stores here do this a lot.

So. forewarned is 1/2 an octopus....

Ooh, I've only got 2 or 3 octopodes[1], so I can't see chopping one in
half.

[1] <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/alt-usage-english-faq/>

Thank God someone else uses the plural "octopodes."  I often think I'm the
only person who bothers to pluralise "cow" as "kine" (when not talking
about bovines generally, which is "cattle"), however.  In any case, feel
free to chop one of my octopodes in half, I have a veritable flock...that
is, if they flock.  I'm not sure a collective term exists given the fairly
solitary nature of octopusdom (and cephalopodom or molluscdom in general).
[2]

best,

Lindsay

[2] Not that those three '-doms' are in any way real words.