 Marketplace / Theory / 815
Re: Target Concerns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:54:38 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, Dave Schuler writes:
With all this talk of Target's massive Lego clearance (about which my only
complaint is that I wasn't able to take better advantage of it), I'm concerned
that Target might not stock Lego as heavily in the future, considering they
seem to have sold a lot of it at a loss.

My only concern is that we just got our first target in North Eastern
Massachusetts last summer and I have not seen a single thing clearenced yet.

This is right only as far as the stock you see--since you haven't seen what *has*
been moving, nor the fact that it's moved, I would hazard to guess that your
perception of the percentage of items they were eventually forced to clearance is
higher than the reality in total dollars of LEGO product moved.

Do I think Target will not carry as much LEGO?  No.  I think they'll be as
well-stocked as ever, with only a few shifts in inventory.  Given how insanely
successful this year was, and that many Targets did not have merchandise to
clearance--I saw two that were literally picked clean of everything but ThrowBots
and Rock Raiders Tunnel Transports--I actually can forsee their stock-on-hand at
holiday time going *up*.

Oh, and add to that the fact that even when Target sells the sets at 40% off,
they're not losing that much money.  Not many "good sets" were often found at 75%
off...

   best,

   LFB