 Marketplace / Theory / 810
809  |  811
Subject:
CC acceptance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:10:38 GMT

I'd like to accept credit cards in payment for stuff like factoring and
for auctions.

However I am not a big merchant with huge leverage. I also am not
willing to NET less money because I offer this convenience to my
customers.

I thought I had found a way, tell people that if they wanted to use CC's
I had an acceptor but that I would not take the hit, they had to pay the
markup. Now, for some people that's a great deal. They WANT to pay the
markup, and it is NOT the only payment scheme I accept, so from my
perspective I am offering a free choice.

eBay informed me that I cannot state I want surcharges in my auction
listings, it's apparently against CA law.

Further, I apparently can't do it for ANYONE, as MasterCard got wind of
it and sent me a note stating that the bank accepting cards would be
fined 2K (which would probably be passed through to my friend and then
passed through to ME...)

So. forewarned is 1/2 an octopus....

Also, consider this a rant. Doesn't seem fair to me. Sigh.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!