 Marketplace / Theory / 811
Re: CC acceptance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:57:40 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I'd like to accept credit cards in payment for stuff like factoring
and for auctions.

...which would be quite handy for factorees and customers, not to
mention safer as far as sending wads of cash overseas goes.

However I am not a big merchant with huge leverage. I also am not
willing to NET less money because I offer this convenience to my
customers.

I thought I had found a way, tell people that if they wanted to use
CC's I had an acceptor but that I would not take the hit, they had
to pay the markup. Now, for some people that's a great deal. They
WANT to pay the markup, and it is NOT the only payment scheme I
accept, so from my perspective I am offering a free choice.

eBay informed me that I cannot state I want surcharges in my auction
listings, it's apparently against CA law.

FWIW, marking up the stated price for CC purchases is also against
Texas state law.  However, giving a "discount" off of the stated prices
for cash/check/money order purchases is not.  (Go figure.)

The "standard" practice is to raise prices to cover the ~4% charge that
the CC companies charge the merchant, and then advertise both prices
("Price: $12.00.  Cash: $11.54").  Liquor stores here do this a lot.

So. forewarned is 1/2 an octopus....

Ooh, I've only got 2 or 3 octopodes[1], so I can't see chopping one in
half.

[1] <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/alt-usage-english-faq/>

--
Susan Hoover