 Marketplace / Theory / 812
Re: CC acceptance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 01:36:52 GMT

eBay informed me that I cannot state I want surcharges in my auction
listings, it's apparently against CA law.

Further, I apparently can't do it for ANYONE, as MasterCard got wind of
it and sent me a note stating that the bank accepting cards would be
fined 2K (which would probably be passed through to my friend and then
passed through to ME...)

Unfortunately, when you sign up for a merchant account it is usually in the
contract somewhere that you are not allowed to charge more for the service.
:/  Which really sucks in areas with low margins, If you are only make 10%
profit and have to give 2-3% of this to the bank, it's a pretty big chunk.

Also keep in mind that there is usually a per transaction charge of around a
quarter.  Doesn't seem like much, and really isn't if people are buying
hundreds of dollars worth of stuff.  However, when your most common item is
$6.50, it does add up pretty quick!

Not to mention the cost of the software/machine needed to process the
transaction.  Usually a recurring monthly fee unless you buy your own, which
are expensive.

Oh, and did I mention the minimum monthly service charge.....even if nobody
charges anything?

Now, you may be able to get a deal where you can avoid some of these
charges.  My point was just that for a small time operation, it is just not
worth the cost/hassle.

(I was also required to have a vendors license, issued by the state, before
i could apply.  This leads to them hounding you for sales tax.  Also was
required to produce a photo of my place of business, which at the time was a
10x10 room at my ISP!)

Troy