 Marketplace / Theory / 669
Re: Supply and demand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:33:46 GMT

I bought a 4558 for $190 last week. The only reason I paid that is that I
know that if I ever bored with it, I can sell it on to some other fool  for
more or less the same price... I do not really think it is worth $190.

You are a fool to think that it has a value of $190.  Really, it has a value of
whatever you and a buyer agree on.  Really, the value you _place_ on it is
$190, not what it is worth.  If the set means nothing to you then you would
sell it, if it means something to you then you might sell it for $100 or if the
set means a lot to you when you are trying to sell it then you will set a high
price, and if noone wants it more than you do, (and you can aford to) you will
keep it.

Well, I would imagine that if LEGO rereleased 4558, the only thing that might
still command a good price would be MISB sets.

Yep.  If it was MISB then the set would be a 'orginal' 4558, and as a
collectable would be valuable.{mental note, it also would be essencially
valueless for 'play' value, because the price that it might command would be
more than the rerelease would be}  Even if you had a "pollybagged" 4558, that
would not be worth as much, since you could take the pollybags and put them
into a old box.

Hey LEGO - Rerelease 4558 Metroliner so that we can test our theory. ;)

Sounds like a plan...I'd like a few more to make a good train!

James P