 Marketplace / Theory / 663
Re: Supply and demand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:47:31 GMT

Hmm.  I agree that re-releasing old sets would make the bottom drop out of the
reseller market, but I don't necessarily think that it would mean LEGO would
suddenly sell gazillions of them.  I mean, we all hunt dilligently for the
sale, right?

My mother is a antique/collectable dealer. Many porcelain manufactures
occasionally re-release older models (from the original molds) and date them
accordingly. These have the effect of actually increasing the price of the
original, as Joe Bloggs can buy the re-pro cheap... but then finds out all he has
is a re-pro... he then wants the original!

Does the fact that Sgt Pepper can be had on CD, influence the fact the the
original LP version is much sought? Does the fact that I can buy oliver twist at
my local book shop for UKP1 (~$1.65) mean I can get a first edition for that
price?

True collectors will always want the original thing.

I bought a 4558 for $190 last week. The only reason I paid that is that I know
that if I ever bored with it, I can sell it on to some other fool  for more or
less the same price... I do not really think it is worth $190.

Scott A