 Marketplace / Theory / 659
Re: Supply and demand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:36:54 GMT

I think the question is also "what is a set worth?". There are very few people on
the planet who would pay even $100 for a used 4558. Just because AFOL's do, are
they really worth that? Or is what they go for at local charity shops and garage
sales the real value?

Scott A

PS : I did buy a 4563 at the weekend for $5.

Lawrence Wilkes wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Shiri Dori writes:
Wow!
1) To (maybe) re-release discontinued items that are exteremly wanted. I mean,
think Demand and Supply - people are willing to pay a heck of a lot for stuff
like Metroliners, Pirate Ships, Old Castles, etc., and if TLC would supply
them, people *would* buy.

trouble is I dont think people are thinking demand and supply.
The reason people are willing to pay so much, is because they are not
available.
If they were freely available, then they would not be in so much demand.
Evidence is that when they were available, they did not fly off the shelves,
and were frequently discounted at the end of their life, like any other lego.

I have 9v trains, including metro liners and club cars, that were bought at
half price, when they came to the end of their life. Where was the demand then?

I think we confuse the desires of a few 100's of AFOL's with lego's desire to
sell 100,000's of each set to kids.

regards
lawrence