 Marketplace / Theory / 662
Re: Supply and demand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:35:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
If they re-released some of the higher ticket old sets, prices on those would
plumet, and they would gain a ton of sales, including sales from people who
will never pay the price for the old sets (I doubt I will ever pay $400 for a
4558 for example). This is not to say that I see anything wrong with people
selling old sets for proffits like this. If the set doesn't have enough
supply to meet the demand, fine, but don't tell TLC they shouldn't do
something about the demand. Note also that re-releasing say a grey
version of 375/6075 would cause the price on the original yellow version
to plumet.

Hmm.  I agree that re-releasing old sets would make the bottom drop out of the
reseller market, but I don't necessarily think that it would mean LEGO would
suddenly sell gazillions of them.  I mean, we all hunt dilligently for the
sale, right?

If, as an example, LEGO rereleased 6067 Guarded Inn, I would buy one so fast
it would make my head spin.  But I wouldn't buy any more unless it hit a good
discount.  By the same token, if LEGO rereleased 4558 Metroliner, I'd look at
it, think "neat Train set" and put it back on the shelf, unless it was a
ridiculous discount.  If I was the first to see it, I'd let people know I'd
seen it.

Contrast that to my seeing 6067 or 4558 on a store shelf now - I'd buy every
single copy I saw, because I *know* I'll at least get my money back.

I'd love to see LEGO rerelease old sets, for the nostalgia value if nothing
else.  I'd buy things that reminded me of my childhood, sure.  But I'd buy 1.
After that it becomes a parts pack, just like every other set on the shelf.

YMMV

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/