 Marketplace / Theory / 664
Re: Supply and demand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:19:06 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:
Hmm.  I agree that re-releasing old sets would make the bottom drop out of
the reseller market, but I don't necessarily think that it would mean LEGO
would suddenly sell gazillions of them.  I mean, we all hunt dilligently
for the sale, right?

My mother is a antique/collectable dealer. Many porcelain manufactures
occasionally re-release older models (from the original molds) and date them
accordingly. These have the effect of actually increasing the price of the
original, as Joe Bloggs can buy the re-pro cheap... but then finds out all he
has is a re-pro... he then wants the original!

Does the fact that Sgt Pepper can be had on CD, influence the fact the the
original LP version is much sought? Does the fact that I can buy oliver twist
at my local book shop for UKP1 (~$1.65) mean I can get a first edition for
that price?

True collectors will always want the original thing.

I would posit that 90% of the time, the people buying old Lego sets aren't
"true collectors".  Most AFOL's don't collect things to say they have them,
they collect so that they can build more stuff.  I'm sure there are people who
do both, but I think that Lego tends to appeal more to "users" than
"collectors"

I bought a 4558 for $190 last week. The only reason I paid that is that I know
that if I ever bored with it, I can sell it on to some other fool  for more or
less the same price... I do not really think it is worth $190.

Well, I would imagine that if LEGO rereleased 4558, the only thing that might
still command a good price would be MISB sets.

Hey LEGO - Rerelease 4558 Metroliner so that we can test our theory. ;)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/