 Marketplace / Theory / 3
  Does auction length matter?

A question I have been pondering for the last week is whether it really matters how long an auction lasts. I did some interesting research on eBay over the weekend. I collected the results of 77 auctions for the same item, set 7140 (the Star Wars (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Interesting, thanks! Result seems counter intuitive, though. I know that I don't have time to search every day, and in fact would consistently miss auctions that started and ended within 3 days. Is publicity not a factor? How could that be? Is (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) I think publicity is a factor, but eBay has such a critical mass of buyers and sellers that there will always be enough people available to fill the compressed activity. This is why eBay's stock price is so high - wall street is betting that (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) There's remarkably little written about auctions and auction theory. Auctions were basically considered a backwater area of economics (other than for people involved with securities) until the Internet came along. Now auction theory is an area (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Awesome!!! Say, are there trade books or journals on this sort of thing? (Must be, but I wouldn't know where to look.) (...) Say, would she like to sign up to participate here? :-) --Todd (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Not really an opinion, but some data: In my experience, Mondays and Tuesdays are always the biggest days for jumps in activity -- and actually, with Tuesday being a little bigger than Monday -- always -- every week -- no exceptions. It's (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

Chris Ernest Hall wrote in message ... :In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Lehman writes: :>In lugnet.market.theory, fozboot@best.com (Chris Ernest Hall) writes: :>> [...] :>> I followed the threads about eBay's auction rules with great interest. My :>> (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) That's very interesting. On what day of the week do you usually begin Auczilla? Have you tried different days? Do you think it matters? Based on what you have said above, do you think it makes more sense to begin your auction on Friday so (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) It's bizarre that people would pay more for something like the Spaceport three- item valuepack than they could pay at eToys or at the local Target, Walmart or Toys r Us. It may be these people are just addicted to the excitement of winning (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Different every time, unless same by chance. (...) No -- the auctions run for several weeks. (...) If I were running really short auctions, I'd probably want to launch them at 5 a.m. on Monday morning and hope for them to close by Thursday (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Empirical, anecdotal explanation, but one that makes a lot of sense to me, anyway: People don't do email on weekends! Hence the F-Sun lull. Further, on Monday, they're catching up from the weekend at work so don't do as much hobby email. (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) That's kind of what I was thinking. Plus, lots of morning meetings on Mondays too, I would imagine... It still freaks me out though how consistent it is...every single time! Maybe all the little fractal noise just gets drowned out by the sheer (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Here's some more data. The stuff above was from analyzing monetary jumps rather than activity jumps per se. That is, the data being looked at for the above statement was the curve representing the total dollar amount tied up in the auction. (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Rilly? I'd want to make sure that the auction runs over both the weekend and weekdays, to catch both at-work and at-home surfers. Steve (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Does auction length matter?

(...) Isn't one a subset of the other? Who's on the net only on weekends but never during the work week (say, in the evenings)? I guess a study would be in order. :) --Todd (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.market.theory)