 Marketplace / Theory / 7
Re: Does auction length matter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 22:08:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, fozboot@best.com (Chris Ernest Hall) writes:
[...]
I followed the threads about eBay's auction rules with great interest. My
step-mother is former Chief Economist of the SEC and a great authority on
auction theory.

Awesome!!!

Say, are there trade books or journals on this sort of thing?  (Must be, but
I wouldn't know where to look.)

There's remarkably little written about auctions and auction theory. Auctions
were basically considered a backwater area of economics (other than for people
involved with securities) until the Internet came along. Now auction theory is
an area which is suddenly of great interest to economists. One site that
recently got my attention is:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/Econ/reiley/home.html

He's written some papers which look interesting (I have not had time to read
them unfortunately) based on experiments selling sportscards over the Internet.

She was very impressed by the quality of the ideas in the debate. I'm
glad there's a separate newsgroup for it now.

Say, would she like to sign up to participate here?  :-)

She's happy to have me as her representative (:. She finds Lego somewhat
interesting, she approves of the fact that they have now added brown, tan and
dark grey colors - she says she never liked the bold primary colors that much.

- chris