 Marketplace / Theory / 8
Re: Does auction length matter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 00:25:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, fozboot@best.com (Chris Ernest Hall) writes:
[...]
It seems to me that auction length (beyond making them absurdly short)
doesn't matter that much; that there is an innate level of activity that
is required to arrive at the efficient price, and if you make the auction
shorter you just compress that activity into a shorter amount of time.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Not really an opinion, but some data:

In my experience, Mondays and Tuesdays are always the biggest days for jumps
in activity -- and actually, with Tuesday being a little bigger than Monday
-- always -- every week -- no exceptions.  It's *really* freaky.  Every
single week in every single auction I've held in the past 2 years looks
exactly the same after curve normalization.  There's a trough on Friday
through Sunday and a peak on Monday through Wednesday.

--Todd