 Marketplace / Theory / 14
Re: Does auction length matter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 01:35:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
In my experience, Mondays and Tuesdays are always the biggest days for jumps
in activity -- and actually, with Tuesday being a little bigger than Monday
-- always -- every week -- no exceptions.  It's *really* freaky.  Every
single week in every single auction I've held in the past 2 years looks
exactly the same after curve normalization.  There's a trough on Friday
through Sunday and a peak on Monday through Wednesday.

Empirical, anecdotal explanation, but one that makes a lot of sense to
me, anyway:

People don't do email on weekends! Hence the F-Sun lull. Further, on
Monday, they're catching up from the weekend at work so don't do as much
hobby email. Tuesday, they're caught up and away they go.

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Plus, lots of morning meetings on
Mondays too, I would imagine...  It still freaks me out though how
consistent it is...every single time!  Maybe all the little fractal noise
just gets drowned out by the sheer volume and number of people actively
participating (typically 200-300 or more).

Since you don't work a mundane schedule any more, you probably forgot
about that or you would have thought of it yourself.

Naw, I remember that perfectly well.  :)  Monday mornings were impossible.
Tuesdays were pretty hectic too.  But I squeezed all of my LEGO stuff into
lunchtime -- stayed in a couple days a week.  Hmm, wow, actually, back in
1994 when I was running the first RTL auctions, we didn't even have Internet
access at work; I had to go sit at a dedicated 2400-baud modem system and
dial in to the UofM machines.  :-p  Ahh, the number of Jack's pizzas I
enjoyed while sitting at that machine.  (urrp!)

Anyway, there's another funny pattern thing that I noticed -- dead time is
typically around 5 a.m. and 5 p.m. (EST) and peak time is typically around
11 a.m. and 11 p.m. (EST).  I guess this in California time, this
corresponds to right after lunch and bedtime for the dead zones and right
before work and right after work for the peak times.  And the peaks and
troughs are much more pronounced on the daily cycle than the weekly cycle,
BTW.

--Todd