 Marketplace / Theory / 12
Re: Does auction length matter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 21:16:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, fozboot@best.com (Chris Ernest Hall) writes:
Not really an opinion, but some data:

In my experience, Mondays and Tuesdays are always the biggest days for jumps
in activity -- and actually, with Tuesday being a little bigger than Monday
-- always -- every week -- no exceptions.  It's *really* freaky.  Every
single week in every single auction I've held in the past 2 years looks
exactly the same after curve normalization.  There's a trough on Friday
through Sunday and a peak on Monday through Wednesday.

That's very interesting. On what day of the week do you usually begin
Auczilla?  Have you tried different days?

Different every time, unless same by chance.

Do you think it matters?

No -- the auctions run for several weeks.

Based on what you have said above, do you think it makes more sense to begin
your auction on Friday so interest seems to build as you go through the week,
or would you rather begin in Monday when it seems people are the most likely
to pay attention?

If I were running really short auctions, I'd probably want to launch them at
5 a.m. on Monday morning and hope for them to close by Thursday evening.

--Todd