 Marketplace / Theory / 2682
Re: Authorized Lego retailers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:51:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Gordon Thomas wrote:

Just my thoughts as a casual observer. Non-official Jake.

Case 1:  www.theblockshop.com
They say they are “authorized” which implies that they buy from TLC as a
retailer, so they violate the terms by being an online venture only.  If they
are misusing the term “authorized” and buy product from a distributor, how can
they price product at 15-20% off full retail and make money?  The numbers would
not seem to add up to be profitable.  This seems to suggest that they buy from
lego directly.

Or that they simple decided to use the word "Authorized". There are multiple
problems with the trademark usages on this site, which makes me wonder if they
are, in fact, in any sort of relationship with the LEGO Company.

What's that they say about "On the Internet, no one knows I'm a dog"..?

Case 2:  Certain BrickLink shops
Selling 500 4496 tubs at 17.99 suggests that they are buying direct from lego
as a retailer otherwise the price breaks would not be there.  This would
directly violate the purchase terms for parting out sets and selling
internationally, not to mention being online only.

Assuming they actually have 500. I've wondered from time to time how many people
are padding their inventories to get attention, but not actually having the
inventory on hand. Remember the guy who claimed to have 200 Maersk sets before
they actually went on sale?

In both cases I think TLC needs to do some investigating into its “authorized
Lego retailers” as this would seem to directly threaten sales on lego.com,
especially with the new sets such as the 4496 and the new Knights sets.  If TLC
is to be profitable and remain in business, people who take advantage of the
system need to be dealt with.

I've passed this site along to Legal to get more information on this, and I'm
sure they'll be all over it. Between the strange "authorized" thing, the
"borrowing" of the legoshop.com stylings and imagery, the "borrowing" of
lego.com graphic materials, and the incorrect trademark usage, something smells
fishy.

Jake
---
Jake McKee