 Dear LEGO / 4888
Re: Authorized Lego retailers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:45:53 GMT

Gordon Thomas wrote in message ...
So now my question is how did this individual get the be a lego retailer • and if
they are able to become one why can’t I or anyone else?

My experience (in Canada) is that LEGO doesn't necessarily come and check
you out to see that you have a storefront. They rely on people's honor. Odd
concept, eh.

I could:
- sell great sets at reduced prices and make lots of people happy

The wholesale price is around 30% less than retail (varies with sets). Once
you pay for shipping to your location, you are probably getting a worse deal
than if you bought them on sale at the store. In Canada, you also have to
pay GST, and in order to recover that, you have to register your business
for GST, charge your Canadian customers GST, and do GST returns. Add in
Bricklink's percentage on the sale, and Paypal's percentage if you have a
business account to accept credit cards, and guess what? You have to sell at
around MSRP to make any money!

- sell those sets via an outlet such as BrickLink internationally
- part those sets out on BrickLink and make even more money

The TLC purchase agreement terms specificaly prohibit breaking up sets and
selling them as pieces (as well as selling online only), and also selling
them outside you own country.

- have a store that contains more than 500 of the new 4496 tub and sell • them for
cheaper than lego.com

See shipping costs, above. You pay the *actual* shipping, not the capped
cheap rate that S@H charges even on large bulky orders.

Another gotcha is that you never know when your order will arrive (could be
months), or whether what you ordered will be available when your order does
reach you. Oh, and there's a minimum first order of $1000.

Anyway, those are some reasons why it's not such a great deal as you might
think.

FUT lugnet.market.theory

Kevin
Farmhouse kit: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-farm.htm