 Dear LEGO / 4886
Re: Authorized Lego retailers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Gordon Thomas wrote:

SNIP

So my final question is:  Why do some people get to be lego retailers and
obviously order at reduced prices while others have to order at full price?

Thanks for your time

The simple answer (probably) is that they do not purchase LEGO directly from
TLC, they purchase through a distributor like Marz (Marz dropped the line).  The
distributor prices are only worthwhile if you're able to sell at full retail.
Sale prices at WalMart and Target, KB Kids, eToys are (were) significantly
cheaper.

Throw in the aggravation factor of establishing a business, securing Sales Tax
licenses, etc., tolerating the thin margins, sporadic shipments and selection,
you'll do better chasing the sales.

-Rob.