 Marketplace / Theory / 2039
Re: Shipping LEGO from EU to USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 14:11:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Susan Hoover writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Eric McCarthy wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

So, in short, does anyone have information about how to
send LEGO without paying a major duty?  Emmanuel, maybe?
Help!

To which Eric McCarthy replied:
Start at
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shipping/?n=265
and follow the link to
http://news.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=176
and then to
http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff2001.asp
and enter "construction sets" or "95033000".

Okay, I'm still confused.  I ordered some stuff last year from Emmanuel
and I noticed on the shipping invoice (receipt, whatever, the piece of
paper on the box) that something was added.  I don't remember whether
it was VAT or duty or something else, but it was marked in French
francs like the rest of the items.  I'll look it up when I get home...
Any chance this is something I didn't have to pay?

   Duty is charged you at the point of pickup.  You'd get a slip
   saying that you have a package waiting at the post office on
   which tariff or duty is owed, you'd go to the PO, and pay the
   duty.  LEGO is duty-free, and I'm going to try darn hard to
   get my VATback, if indeed any was charged!  :)

   In the case of ETS-DYA (and maybe he can chime in here to
   clear this up if I'm wrong), if you're in the US he doesn't
   have to charge VAT (which is why the prices vary so greatly).
   I'd bet it's shipping and handling, else other taxes that
   must be paid (like we get Canadian GST back in the US, but
   not Ontario PST, sort of like national versus state sales
   tax--the former which we don't have in the US).

   best

   Lindsay