 Marketplace / Theory / 1568
Re: Shipping options: WAS: (Re: Looking for Troy Cefaratti)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:17:09 GMT

Yes, it was Certified Mail she was talking about.  Just got back from the post office
to pick up a package.  The base fee for CM is $1.40, and basically, they just keep a
record at the post office of when and to whom it was delivered.

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.theory, Bianca Nebab writes:
In fact, you can get insurance and some kind of
delivery confirmation for 1st class packages, too!
I wasn't aware of this until my very helpful postal
employee pointed it out to me.  However, I try not to hold up
lines so I'm not sure if this was the standard 35 cent dc or
some other kind of service, so she may have been talking about
the Certified Mail charge, which is much more expensive.

There is a delivery conf available on certain other kinds of non prio mail
that uses the same fluoro green barcoded form. It costs more than the 35 cents
add on. (85 cents?? I forget) However it's not available for all other kinds
of mail. OK, found it: it is NOT AVAILABLE for first class. Quoting:
"Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, Special Standard Mail, and Library Mail -
$0.60 "

The confirmation of delivery she was referring to was probably certified mail
with a return receipt. This adds 1.20 + 1.45 for the receipt to the cost. IMHO
this is a bad deal compared to prio w/delivery conf. USPS is pushing prio and
delivery conf because dc is barcoded, vastly reducing the labor required to
process it.

For more details, go here: http://pe.usps.gov/ and click on the "domestic
ratefold" which will launch a pdf (you'll need acrobat installed to read it)
with all the rates in it. Or click on the left menu for household simplified
rates.

++