 Marketplace / Theory / 1564
Re: Shipping options: WAS: (Re: Looking for Troy Cefaratti)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 05:26:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Troy Cefaratti writes:
Bryan,

I am looking into the problem with my e-mail acocunt.  Telocity seems to • be
acting wierd, in that I can SEND mail, but not receive it for some • reason.
News that it is bouncing back mail is most disturbing.

As for your parts, they were sent out as I told you, but as they were • sent
out first class, I have no way of tracking them.  I guess I'll just have • to
resend them.

I don't use first class for that very reason. My current shipping policy • is
priority mail with delivery confirmation only, and I don't give the option • of
not paying for delivery confirmation.

Hmm.... I might have to do that as well. I have two orders that did not go
through, and I just don;t have the stock to replace some orders. Do you put
insurance on those as well, Larry?

If someone *insisted* on first class I might do it with the proviso that • it
was at their risk, not mine. But I'd probably charge them enough extra for
shipping materials to more than eat up the savings. Using USPS supplied
materials is SO convenient, rooting out non Prio badged boxes to use is a • big
hassle.

Indeed. I switched most of my US based shipping to Priority, and I might
have to tag on delivery confirmation as well. Can you make a disclaimer for
first class your risk, not mine? I guess the receipt from the post office
would be official? What a mess!

I'm real curious as to whether these shipments are really going missing. I've
received a ton of packages from eBay wins, and the only problems I have had
were one package was damaged and lost a bunch of pieces (bad packing, used a
soft mailer without enough padding), one package which never arrived
presumably because it was never shipped (seller never responded to e-mails, a
bunch of other people also never receive their goods), and one or two which
got delayed a bit because the PO misplaced them while I was on vacation. I
don't like to acuse people of lying, but I just don't see it (and I think my
volume of received packages is high enough to shake out problems).

On the other hand, the Durham NC police just caught a Post Office employee who
was discarding mail in the woods. It apparently is mail to people who had
moved, and the employee perhaps didn't want to deal with forwarding it (this
guy is going to have a REAL hard time getting out of this one, the cops were
following him because he was acting suspicious, and saw him pull off into the
woods and dump a bag on the ground, when they went to see what he had dumped
[thinking they were going to nail him for littering, they saw mail poking out
of a torn bag]). Apparently he had been dumping stuff for months.

Oh, on that one package which went missing, I sent a letter with return
receipt, and I never got an answer from the Post Office as to why I never got
the card back in the mail. It also took quite a while for them to trace the
money order. So maybe my experience is good because in general, our Post
Office is good.

Frank