 Marketplace / Theory / 1565
Re: Shipping options: WAS: (Re: Looking for Troy Cefaratti)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:38:36 GMT

This sounds a bit suspicious to me.  Lost 1st Class packages should be no more common
than lost Priority Mail packages because they are basically the same service.  The
only difference is the weight category.  1st Class is charged by the ounce, while
once you hit 2 pounds, Priority is charged by the pound (after 5 pounds, location
also gets factored into the cost).  In fact, you can get insurance and some kind of
delivery confirmation for 1st class packages, too!  I wasn't aware of this until my
very helpful postal employee pointed it out to me.  However, I try not to hold up
lines so I'm not sure if this was the standard 35 cent dc or some other kind of
service, so she may have been talking about the Certified Mail charge, which is much
more expensive.  The clear advantage of Priority Mail is that the boxes, envelopes,
and labels are free.  They are very sturdy yet very light, so it's probably the most
cost effective for sellers.  A padded envelope commonly costs 75 cents and up for
just one unless you get them in bulk.  If you charge your buyers a fee for shipping
materials (a "handling" fee), 1st Class and Priority are more often than not a wash
cost wise, so your buyers will be more understanding of all-Priority shipping.