 Marketplace / Theory / 1427
  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) i THINK IF i WERE YOU i'D ADD SOMETHING TO TEH AUCTION DESCRIPTION sCOTT, (oops caps lock!) pointing out that there's no duty on construction toys (ie Lego) being imported into teh US. Kevin (24 years ago, 27-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) I thought about what you said, but then I thought bidders may think "there is no smoke without fire". I suppose I was annoyed as it happened so early into the auction - when s/he had so long to ask me about it. I have calmed down now though. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

"Kevin Wilson" <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:3958C52B.13695E...rve.com... (...) But duty (or sales taxes) is payable in many other countries. The charitable interpretation of the behaviour described is that the person is new (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) ?? Isn't it *better* that it happened early on? The worst retraction is when a bid so large that it scared everyone else off is retracted at the very last second, allowing the second bidder to get it for much less (scenario: opening bid 10. A (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) That scenario happened to me a couple of times...I received e-mail from a couple Lugnet lurkers who said they wanted the lots but the price was outrageus... One lot dropped from $24 to under $10 and never recovered. (...) I agree with Larry on (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) If he had mailed me, he'd have had 9.5 days to wait for me to reply. Scott A (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) Yes yes. But my point is merely that if one has a bid withdrawn from one's auction, factoring out all else such as that it would be nice if the clueless bidder mailed you rather than withdrawing, better that it be early rather than late. When (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) s/he (...) Your point is evident. Bid retractions are not a big problem to me, but I do think ebay should tighten up the system. A while ago I saw a bidder who had 18 logged retractions - too much in my opinion. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

There may have been a good reason - IF these retractions were all at the same time, the person may have suffered some kind of personal tragedy (job loss, illness/injury) that would have prevented him from following through on making payment. OTOH, (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jun-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) Why would it be any of their business? You state the terms of the sale up front and you and the bidders are all contractually obligated to stand by them. "Hey, since I bid a stupid amount of money for your twelve 1x2 bricks with smiley (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jul-00, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Interesting way of sabotaging an auction - if the seller is overseas

(...) Exactly my thoughts! (...) Generally, I don't really think this sould be expected of me as a seller. In cases where some lots have fetched a much better than expected price, I have thrown in more of the same element for prompt payment or (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.market.theory)