 Marketplace / Shopping / 8757
Re: Walmart Clearance?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:42:00 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Tony Kilaras writes:
The part about the red paint is true, at least it was for Toys R Us when I
used to dumpster dive. And don't think they toss it out by opening the boxes
and tossing the sealed bags, so that even if there's paint spalshed on you
can salvage some of the pieces.

When I had two kids in diapers, I tried to get someone at Walmart to cut me a
deal on some disposable diapers whose packages had been ripped open.  I was
refused and told there were liability issues in selling opened packages of
diapers, and that they just threw them away.  I drove around the back of the
store to inspect the dumpster but discovered it was surrounded by a high chain
link fence with a padlocked gate.  I actually thought about driving my car up
early on a Sunday morning and climbing on the roof and hoisting myself over the
fence to rifle through the dumpster, but getting caught would have been TOO
embarrassing.  Good thing I didn't know about the LEGO or I might have
risked it!

Ray Sanders wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, James Seibert writes:
And don't even think of dumpster diving, they prosecute for theft
property, even their trash. No, I have not tried it. Although if dumpster of
Lego is out there, I will be sorely tempted.

I heard about this once a few years back. The person who described it to
me said something to the effect... "we make it not resaleable, then dump some
red paint on the pile of stuff in the dumpster". I was always a bit
skeptical, but in extreme cases I suppose it might be possible. Most WalMarts
always try to get some return from the stuff.

Then theres a little WM not all that far from me... twice in the past
week I raided a pile of christmas stuff they are trying to get rid of. Bags
of christmas bows have been reduced to 10-cents. I must have 30 bags stashed
away so far (gave some to all my friends). Target slashed their christmas
stuff to 90% off last week. Several Targets had large quantites of boxes of
candy canes (orig $0.99) for $0.09. Or as the price scanner says " 0.$9 ",
bad firmware !

I saw tons of those 9 cent candy canes.  If only they could have been
chocolate!  I did find some cute tiny Christmas shopping bags and tags in those
carts they put the stuff in that they've found misshelved-- also for 90% off.
The men's Horton the elephant socks were 39 cents. But the clearance LEGO
pickings have been slim around here.

Maggie C.