 Marketplace / Shopping / 8718
Re: Walmart Clearance?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:06:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Rose Regner writes:
Does anyone know if Wal-Mart has lowered their clearance prices yet? Does
anyone remember their clearance sale pattern, i.e. how long between mark
downs.

Around here they have the greatest selection of clearance sets, but we
recently went from having one Wal-Mart that rarely marked down sets, to five
with one more being built near my house.

Rose
I was just 'chat'ing with a friend about this.  It was this time last year
when Walmart.com had a number of clearance items (i.e. Silver Champion for
$28, Railway Express $45).  However, it appears that they are holding onto
their stock longer and not offering the large sales.  Whether they've caught
on to our buying 'patterns' is unclear.  There are a few clearance on their
web site, but not worth the effort (IMHO) when comparing to last year at
this time.

I may not remember the store sales correctly, however Walmart seemed to be
more erratic - each store having it's own levels and timeframes for marking
down items.  I saw the large clearance sections being setup in a couple of
Walmarts just after the new year - but alas, no Lego finds.  I only hope
they start throwing some of the slower moving, or older, sets on these
shelves at prices similar to last year.

Dave

P.S.  Another thing that bothers me as a clearance hound... I'm seeing far
too many sets that are 'robbed' of major components.  I picked up a RIS 1.5
set at a local Best Buy (the RCX, both motors, both touch sensors, and some
wheels were missing).  I just hope it is noone reading this forum.